The thought of a surgeon making a mistake that could cause a patient harm is unthinkable. However, surgical mistakes are more common than many people realize. But many of the medical errors in the operating room are preventable.
Our Tampa surgical mistake lawyers of Catania & Catania, P.A. have over 120 years of combined legal experience. Our law firm has recovered over $500 million for our clients in jury verdicts and settlements since 1992. We are dedicated to seeking justice for injured individuals and their families.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with a Tampa personal injury attorney at (813) 222-8545. Let’s discuss how we can help you hold your surgeon liable for the damage caused by surgical errors in Tampa, Florida.
How Can Our Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorneys Help After a Surgical Mistake?
Medical malpractice cases involving surgical mistakes can be challenging to win. You must prove that the doctor was negligent and that their negligence led to your injuries. You can expect the surgeon and the insurance company to fight your claim to avoid paying damages.
When you hire Catania & Catania, P.A. to handle your case, you even the playing field. Our legal team has extensive experience handling medical malpractice cases.
Our Tampa personal injury lawyers will take numerous steps to protect your legal rights and best interests, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation into the circumstances that lead to your injury
- Identifying all parties who may have liability for your injuries and damages
- Filing insurance claims and handle all communication with the insurance providers
- Consult expert witnesses during the investigation and hire experts to testify in court
- Work with your physicians to document your damages and the extent of your injuries
- Calculate a fair value for your damages and fight to obtain that amount for your claim
When errors occur in the operating room, patients suffer. We believe you deserve to be compensated for your pain and financial losses.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with a surgical mistakes attorney in Tampa, FL.
Common Examples of Surgical Mistakes in Tampa, FL
Many surgical errors are considered “never events.” Never events are so shocking that they should never occur. Sadly, these surgical mistakes are common in Florida hospitals and medical facilities.
Common surgical errors include:
- A doctor failing to review a patient’s medical history
- A surgeon operating on the wrong body part (wrong site surgeries)
- Surgeons operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Performing the wrong procedure on a patient
- Leaving a foreign object inside a surgical site
- Providing inadequate health care after the surgery by failing to monitor the patient
- Performing unnecessary surgical procedures
- Failing to sanitize medical equipment or the operating room before surgery
- Failure to obtain informed consent to perform the procedure
Unfortunately, some surgical errors could go unnoticed for several months or years after the surgery.
Damages and Injuries Caused by Surgical Mistakes
Patients could suffer numerous injuries and harm when a surgeon makes a mistake. Some common injuries caused by surgical errors include, but are not limited to:
- Nerve damage
- Loss of limbs or body organs
- Traumatic brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Vision or hearing loss
- Paralysis and amputations
- Disfigurement and scarring
Some patients may experience permanent impairments and disabilities because of mistakes during surgery. In the worst cases, a wrongful death may occur.
Who is Responsible for Damages Caused by Surgical Mistakes?
When a patient is injured because of a surgical mistake, the patient could recover damages, including:
- Medical expenses, personal care, and nursing care
- Cost of physical, occupational, and vocational therapy
- Scarring, disabilities, and impairments
- Physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of income, benefits, and future earning potential
- Reduced quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
The surgeon and other parties may be held financially liable for these damages. However, you have the burden of proving that the surgeon breached the duty of care by making a surgical mistake. You must also prove that the breach of duty directly led to your injuries and damages.
Our legal team works extensively with medical experts to identify what caused your injury and who is responsible. We gather evidence demonstrating that the surgeon failed to meet the acceptable standard of care in your situation and caused your injuries and damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Surgical Mistakes Lawyers
You deserve to be compensated for the pain and suffering you experienced at the hands of a negligent surgeon. At Catania & Catania, P.A., we fight to hold medical providers accountable for their actions. Call now for your free case review with a Tampa personal injury lawyer.