What to Do When You Suspect Nursing Home Negligence

When you place your elderly parent or relative in a nursing home, you want to know they are going to be well cared for. Unfortunately, elder abuse in nursing homes is rampant. It is important that you know what to do when you suspect nursing home negligence or abuse, to protect your family member as well as other patients in the home.

Recognizing the Signs

There are several signs of nursing home negligence that you may notice. Your loved one may have a sudden drop in weight, slip and fall, lack personal hygiene, or display signs of withdrawal and mood changes. If you suspect nursing home negligence or abuse, talk to your loved one and ask them questions about their day and lifestyle. Ask about their nursing staff, how they are treated, and whether or not they are being cared for appropriately.

Reporting the Incident

Your first step in nursing home negligence is to report the issue to the management of the nursing home. It is possible that they are unaware of how their staff is neglecting patients. If you don’t get an appropriate response from management of the nursing home, or if you feel it is necessary, you can report the abuse to the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.

Contacting an Attorney

It is best to contact an attorney immediately after discovering and reporting nursing home negligence. A St. petersburg medical malpractice attorney can ensure you are compensated for the care your loved one did not receive, as well as pay for any expenses related to moving them to a new facility. You are also entitled to compensation for your loved one’s injuries and any medical expenses that resulted from the negligence or abuse.

If your loved one is a victim of nursing home negligence, contact us today for a free consultation. We will be able to help you take the next steps, report the incident to authorities, and get an amicable resolution for your loved one to keep them safe.

Close Menu
Get A Free Case Evaluation

By submitting this form I agree to the Terms of Use

Keep me informed about important consumer alerts