Have you or your child been hurt by a dangerous product in Tampa, FL? You might be entitled to compensation. Call our Tampa product liability lawyers at (813) 222-8545 or contact our law office online to discuss your case. At Catania & Catania, P.A., we have fought for injured consumers for over 28 years.
Our seasoned attorneys will help you explore your legal options with no out-of-pocket costs and give you the help you deserve. You trust that the products you buy have been properly designed, tested, and manufactured. When they seriously injure you, the manufacturer should be held responsible.
How Catania & Catania, P.A. Can Help if You Were Hurt by a Dangerous Product in Tampa
At Catania & Catania, P.A., we believe manufacturers should be held responsible when they allow dangerous products on the market. If you or a loved one were hurt by a defective tool, automotive part, medical device, or children’s product, we are here to help.
Manufacturers and distributors have the resources to fight product liability claims. Our Tampa personal injury lawyers will help you level the playing field. Our award-winning small firm gives your case the personal attention it needs for success. This approach has helped us recover over $500 million for our injured clients.
If you hire us to represent you in Tampa, Florida, you can expect us to:
- Provide sound legal advice and guidance
- Handle all administrative tasks and communications on your behalf
- Investigate your accident to determine exactly how you were injured
- Work with experts to identify the type of defect
- Identify all potential sources of compensation, including manufacturers, retailers, suppliers, and distributors
- Negotiate with the insurance company after accurately valuing the full extent of your damages
- Present a persuasive case to a jury to seek maximum damages if a fair settlement cannot be reached
You do not have to take on a major manufacturer or their insurance company alone. Call Catania & Catania, P.A. today for the legal representation you deserve. You pay no attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation for you.
How Common Are Dangerous Products?
Defective or dangerous products are far more common than we would like to believe.
Here are some frightening facts about defective consumer products:
- Dangerous products cause 40 million injuries and over 46,000 deaths every year in the United States
- There were 1,000 automotive recalls in 2018 alone that affected 35 million consumers
- There were 100,000 injuries and 70 deaths linked to children’s consumer products like cribs in 2017 alone
- About one-third of all prescription drugs approved by the FDA enter the market with unidentified side effects
- Defective medical devices are one of the most dangerous consumer products. They caused 83,000 deaths and 1.7 million injuries in a 9-year time period.
Product recalls can be viewed at recalls.gov. However, many dangerous products are not recalled for years. Some are never recalled, or they may only be dangerous due to a defect that affected a small number of products.
Overview of Tampa Product Liability Law
Under Florida law, manufacturers and sellers can be held responsible when a defective product injures consumers. A product liability claim can arise from any type of product, including toys, medical devices, appliances, and tools.
What Makes a Product Defective?
Manufacturers are held strictly liable when a product is defective.
There are three types of product defects:
- Design defect. This means there was an inherent flaw in the design of the product that made it unreasonably dangerous. A recent example is the Takata airbag which deployed explosively in specific conditions due to a defective design.
- Manufacturing defect. This means there was a mistake during manufacturing that made a product or a group of products dangerous. A medication contaminated during manufacturing is a common example.
- Failure to warn. This is a marketing defect. Manufacturers must provide a warning label and instructions to warn of dangers that cannot be cured through an alternative design.
The type of defect determines the type of evidence you will need to prove your case. Manufacturers may also be held liable for different types of defects that result from negligence.
Types of Product Liability Cases We Handle
Catania & Catania, P.A. represents consumers injured by all types of defective products, including:
- Vehicle components
- Children’s products and toys
- Batteries and electronics
- Tools and machinery
- Medical devices
- Household chemicals, lawn products, and cleaning products
If you were hurt by a dangerous product, contact our law office today. We will help you explore your options to hold the manufacturer accountable.
What is My Product Liability Case Worth?
The value of any product liability case is based on highly unique factors.
Your case’s worth cannot be estimated without considering:
- The type of product, defect, and the cause of the defect
- The severity of your injuries
- How your injuries will impact your ability to work, quality of life, and health in the future
- Whether you contributed to your injuries
- Whether your case falls under strict product liability or negligence
- Whether your case qualifies for a class-action lawsuit
The best way to understand the value of your case is through a free consultation with an experienced Tampa product liability lawyer. Contact our law office today for help understanding your claim’s value.
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Product Liability Case in Tampa, FL?
A successful product liability claim allows you to recover damages for the economic and non-economic losses you suffered. This means you are entitled to compensation for your financial losses and losses without a financial value.
You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Property damage
- Medical bills, including future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished or lost earning capacity Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement or scarring
Catania & Catania, P.A. is committed to helping you recover the full compensation you are entitled to. We will tirelessly investigate your case, work with experts, and build a claim that supports the total value of your losses.
We’ll Fight for Compensation for All Your Defective Product Injuries
A dangerous product can lead to significant, permanent, or fatal injuries.
At Catania & Catania, P.A., we represent clients who have suffered injuries such as:
- Eye injuries
- Facial injuries
- Brain injuries
- Traumatic amputations
- Electrocutions or electric shocks
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
If a dangerous product hurt you or a loved one, contact our law office today for the legal assistance you need. We will fight for full compensation for all your injuries.
How Do I Prove Fault in a Product Liability Case in Tampa, Florida?
There are two types of product liability cases in Florida: strict liability and negligence.
If you are bringing a claim against a manufacturer under strict liability law, you do not need to prove the manufacturer was negligent. Strict liability comes into play when a manufacturer allows a defective product to enter the market. Florida law holds manufacturers strictly liable for defective products.
You must prove the following in a strict liability case:
- The product was used as intended or in a way the manufacturer should have expected
- The product had a manufacturing defect, design defect, or a warning defect
- The defect was the proximate cause of your injury
- You suffered actual losses
In Florida, a common way to prove a product was defective is the “consumer expectations test.” An injury victim satisfies this test by demonstrating the product failed to perform according to a consumer’s reasonable expectations.
Most product liability claims are brought under strict liability law. If your claim alleges negligence, you must show the manufacturer’s negligent actions were the direct cause of your injuries.
Negligence requires you to show that:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- They breached their duty
- Their breach caused you harm
- You suffered damages
Breach of warranty claims are one type of negligence case.
Product liability cases are notoriously complicated. Proving your case may require expert testimony and extensive investigation. An experienced product liability lawyer in Tampa can help you build the strongest case possible.
How Long Do I Have to File a Product Liability Lawsuit in Florida?
You have a limited amount of time to file a claim after a defective product hurts you. The Florida statute of limitations for product liability cases is four years.
This deadline begins on the date you know or have reason to know the product caused your injury. It’s crucial to begin working on your case as soon as possible. Documenting evidence, proving the product was defective, and valuing your damages can take time.
Contact a Tampa product liability attorney at Catania & Catania, P.A. as soon as possible to begin pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Tampa Product Liability Lawyer for a Free Consultation
After a dangerous product leaves you or your child with serious injuries, you should not face a complex legal battle for fair compensation. Contact Catania & Catania, P.A. today for a free consultation with a Tampa product liability lawyer. We will help you pursue the compensation you deserve with no out-of-pocket costs for skilled legal representation.