Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Tampa, FL, call Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers at (813) 222-8545 for a free consultation. You may have the right to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and suffering. Since 1992, our experienced Tampa car accident lawyers have recovered hundreds of millions in life-changing compensation for crash victims just like you.
Our personal injury law firm offers a free case evaluation and since we work on contingency, there’s absolutely no risk in getting us in your corner. Contact our Tampa law office to schedule a time to discuss your legal options today. We’re always standing by to take your call, 24/7/365.
Table of Contents
How Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Tampa Auto Accident
You may be entitled to compensation for your car accident injuries. Car insurance companies will fight tooth and nail to deny your claim or minimize how much you’re ultimately awarded. Hiring an experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer is the best way to level the playing field and set yourself up for a win.
When you hire our car accident law firm, we’ll:
- Coordinate an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding your car accident in Hillsborough County
- Gather and analyze evidence to establish the cause(s) and identify all liable parties
- Work closely with leading accident specialists and experts as we build your case and determine what it’s worth
- Handle all conversations with other parties and their insurance providers
- Negotiate fiercely on your behalf, backing our demands with facts and evidence needed to get you the money you deserve
- Have our accomplished trial attorneys argue your case in front of a judge and jury, if necessary.
You focus on getting better. Let our attorneys in Tampa handle the fight to get you every cent you deserve for your car accident injuries. Call today to schedule a free consultation and learn more.
Tampa, FL Car Accident Statistics [2022 Update]
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were a total of 27,988 auto accidents in Tampa and Hillsborough County in 2021.
This reflected a slight increase from the year before, when Hillsborough County saw a total of 24,160 collisions.
Preliminary data from April 2022 shows that there have been a total of 7,802 crashes in Hillsborough County so far, which include 5,257 injuries and 60 fatalities from all crashes (as of 4/25/22).
How Serious Are Car Accidents in Tampa?
In 2021, there were 243 fatal car accidents, resulting in 263 deaths across Hillsborough County. That’s a slight increase from the year before when the Tampa Bay area had 199 fatal wrecks and 214 deaths.
Another 12,160 car crashes in the Tampa area resulted in at least one injury in 2021. 18,685 total injuries were reported that year. In the year prior, there were 10,803 injury-causing crashes, leaving 16,450 people injured.
What is My Case Worth If I’ve Been Injured in a Tampa Crash?
It depends. The most telling factor is the seriousness of the injuries you’ve sustained.
The more serious the trauma suffered in a collision, the higher a related injury case is typically worth.
According to the National Safety Council, the average economic cost of a crash in 2019 ranged anywhere from $12,500 (no injury observed) to $28,500 (evident injury) to $1,704,000 (fatal wreck).
Those amounts do not, however, even take things like pain and suffering or disfigurement into account. When you add in the non-economic consequences of a collision – regardless of the physical injuries a victim sustains – the true value of a motor vehicle accident case can be much, much greater.
Catania and Catania has won compensation totaling more than $500 Million for crash victims in the Tampa Bay area. How? By making sure that our client’s cases are valued properly and being relentless in pursuing full compensation on their behalves. Our Tampa auto accident attorneys are ready to fight for you, too. All you have to do is contact us to get started.
What Compensation is Available After a Crash in Tampa?
Florida law explains that two types of damages – economic and non-economic – are typically available in personal injury cases.
Economic damages, which are awarded to make you financially whole after an accident, including:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Nursing care
- Lost wages
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Funeral costs, if an accident is fatal
You have to be able to prove you lost money to get these types of awards.
Non-economic damages, which are awarded to compensate for consequences that don’t have a set financial value, including:
Often referred to as “pain and suffering” damages, these are highly subjective and difficult to value in terms of dollars and cents. It’s critical to have solid evidence and expert testimony to support any demands for these awards.
In some situations, punitive damages might also be available. However, there has to be clear and convincing evidence of intentional or grossly negligent conduct for punitive awards to apply.
Can I Get Compensation If I Share Fault For a Crash?
However, your financial award will be reduced by however much fault you’re assigned. If you’re allocated 30% of the blame for the auto accident, your damages will be reduced by 30%.
Other parties and insurance companies will try to shift as much of the blame for a crash to you as they can. It’s important to fight back against these allegations. The more blame you’re assigned, the lower your financial award will be.
Our Tampa car accident attorneys know how to protect you from these tactics. Contact us for help protecting yourself and your financial award.
When Should I Consult a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer?
You should consult with a Tampa car accident lawyer as soon as you can after the accident occurs. Of course, receiving medical attention and alerting the authorities are your first priorities after an incident. But beyond that, reaching out to an attorney early on in the process is highly beneficial.
The immediate aftermath of a car accident could be critical to the ultimate success of your claim. You should be careful not to accept blame for the accident or make statements that could hurt your case down the line. Sometimes the right and wrong things to say and do after an accident are not easy to determine.
That’s where consulting with an attorney early on becomes important. Your attorney will be able to advise you on how to proceed – with an eye toward maximizing your compensation from the at-fault party. Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers offer a free initial consultation as well; so contact us about your case today.
Choosing the Right Car Accident Lawyer
After an incident, it’s critical to hire the right Tampa car accident attorney. You’ll want to look for an attorney with:
- Experience: It’s highly important to hire a lawyer with experience. The attorneys at Catania and Catania have over 120 years of collective experience.
- Accountability: You’ll want an attorney who is accountable to you and who keeps you informed on the status of your case. You should be able to contact your attorney whenever you want to discuss your case.
- Trust: Make sure you can trust your attorney. Look up reviews and awards that the firm you’re considering has received to make sure they are reputable.
- Local Connections: Car accident cases tend to be localized in nature. An attorney who is familiar with the area where the accident occurred could greatly benefit your case.
Once you’ve considered these factors, you’re well on your way to hiring the right lawyer for your case.
We Handle All Types of Auto Accidents in Tampa
Every car accident is different. The type of crash you’re involved in can have a huge impact on how a related case unfolds.
You deserve to work with a law firm with experience representing clients who’ve sustained injuries in all different types of auto accidents in Florida.
Catania and Catania can help you after you’re hurt in a:
- Rear-end collision
- Front-end or head-on accident
- T-bone or sideswipe accident
- Rollover accident
- Single-vehicle wreck
- Multi-vehicle crash
- Hit and run accident
- Intersection accident
- Highway accident
- Accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver
- Drunk driving accident
- Distracted driving accident
- Truck accident
- Accidents involving a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist
Our Tampa car accident attorneys can also provide the support and guidance you need if a loved one has recently been killed in a fatal crash in Hillsborough County. We’ll pursue compensation for your loss and suffering through a wrongful death claim so that you can focus on grieving and moving forward.
What Causes Car Wrecks on Florida’s Gulf Coast?
Almost anything can cause a traffic accident.
However, certain factors tend to contribute to collisions more often than others.
Common causes of car collisions include:
- Texting and driving, as well as other distractions behind the wheel
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Aggressive driving, particularly at or around intersections
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Defective vehicles or equipment (e.g., faulty brakes or airbags)
If you’ve been injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence, call Catania and Catania. Our car accident attorneys are here to help you to hold them accountable.
What Are My Options For Recovering Compensation After a Car Accident?
There are two primary courses of action after getting hurt in an accident: pursuing insurance benefits and filing a lawsuit.
Submitting an Insurance Claim After an Auto Accident
Florida currently operates under a “no fault” car insurance system where drivers are required to carry minimum amounts of PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage in the event of an injury. You’re required to turn to your own provider for benefits if you’re injured in an accident, regardless of fault.
That might soon be changing – the legislature has passed a law to make Florida a fault-based state. That would mean pursuing insurance benefits from the provider of whoever is responsible.
Filing a Lawsuit
Insurance is the primary source of compensation for victims after an automobile accident. However, sometimes insurance providers find ways to deny claims or limit their liability.
Other times, at-fault parties have no insurance or the costs of a victim’s injuries exceed policy limits. In these (and other) situations, injured victims have the option of filing an injury lawsuit against those responsible for a wreck.
You might be able to file a lawsuit against:
- Other motorists on the road
- Truck drivers or trucking companies
- Bicyclists or pedestrians
- Employers of negligent parties
- Government entities, or
- Companies responsible for designing, manufacturing, or selling defective products.
Anyone who was negligent – or strictly liable for your injuries under the law – can potentially be named as a defendant in your car accident lawsuit.
Most auto accident cases begin with an insurance company. Whether it’s your provider or someone else’s, it’s best to have an experienced attorney representing you throughout the car accident claims process. Your lawyer can make sure that adjusters play by the rules and offer you a fair settlement – knowing that the threat of litigation in a courtroom is very real if they don’t.
Dealing With Insurance Companies
Dealing with an insurance company is more complicated than it seems on its face. Insurance adjusters are trained to minimize the value of your claim and they will go to great lengths in order to do so. Keep in mind that insurance companies exist to make money first and foremost.
After an accident occurs and you contact the insurance company, the insurance adjuster will likely send you an early settlement offer. It is almost always a good idea to turn this offer down. The initial settlement offer from the insurance company will almost certainly be for less than your claim is worth.
Having an experienced Tampa car accident attorney at your side is crucial when dealing with the insurance company. The attorneys at Catania & Catania Injury Lawyers know the tactics and strategies employed by insurance adjusters all too well; we’ll make sure that they don’t take advantage of you and get you the settlement offer you deserve.
What Are the Legal Elements of a Car Accident Case in Tampa?
Many car accident cases will come down to proving whether the other side was negligent. Negligence essentially means the same thing as “carelessness.” There are four legal elements in a negligence claim:
- Duty: This element entails proving that the other side had a duty of care to you. For example, there is generally a duty of care not to drive recklessly and thereby endanger other people.
- Breach: Once you establish that a duty of care exists in a given situation, you will need to prove that the other party breached that duty. Running a red light will usually satisfy this element, as an example.
- Causation: There are two types of causation in a negligence case. Actual cause, also known as “but for” causes, requires proving that but for the other party’s actions, the accident would not have occurred. Proximate cause requires proving that the other party’s actions were reasonably foreseeable as far as causing the accident goes.
- Damages: This element entails proving that you suffered some sort of damage as a result of the other party’s actions (e.g., medical expenses, mental and physical injuries, property damage, etc).
If someone caused your injuries, a Tampa car accident attorney with Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers can help you.
How Long Do I Have To File A Car Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
You have a four-year time limit to file a car accident lawsuit. The statute of limitations begins to run the moment an accident happens or when a victim discovers their injuries (if not immediately apparent after a wreck), whichever is later.
You’ll have less time to file a lawsuit if:
- An accident is fatal (Florida has a two-year limit for wrongful death lawsuits), or
- You’re attempting to recover compensation from a government entity (government claims must be initiated within a matter of months, not years).
You might be able to toll – or pause – the statute of limitations if:
- The defendant is facing criminal charges for the accident
- The defendant is out of the state or can’t be located, or
- The victim is a minor at the time of the accident.
If you don’t file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out, your ability to get compensation will be lost.
Protect yourself and make sure that your claim is filed on time is by contacting an experienced Tampa car accident lawyer near you as soon as you can after you get injured. Catania and Catania is ready to help you pursue the damages you need and deserve.
What Kind of Injuries Do Car Accidents Cause?
An accident can inflict a wide range of injuries, from minor scrapes and bruises to trauma victims aren’t able to survive.
At Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers, our car accident attorneys represent clients who have suffered any of the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Eye injuries
- Head injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injury
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Spinal cord injury
- And more
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries caused by an auto wreck, seek medical attention as soon as you can. Then, reach out to our Tampa car accident attorneys to discuss your legal options and see how we might be able to help you pursue compensation from those responsible.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
The following steps can help to keep you safe and help you maximize your financial recovery after an accident:
- Remain at the scene
- Call to report the accident and have police sent to the scene
- Document the scene and your injuries, if possible
- Seek medical care as soon as you can – regardless of whether or not you think you’ve been injured
- Refuse to provide a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster or answer anything other than very basic questions
- Direct all communications from an insurance company and other parties to your attorney.
The things you do – and the decisions you make – in the days and weeks after a wreck are crucial. In fact, they can have a big impact on your ability to recover insurance benefits or damages in a third-party claim.
When should you contact an attorney if you’ve been in a car accident? As soon as you can. The sooner you secure legal representation, the sooner you can begin to focus on getting better and have the peace of mind that your pursuit of compensation is in good hands.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa?
How much it will ultimately cost you to hire a Tampa car accident lawyer will depend on the facts of your case as well as the exact outcome. However, at Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers we operate on a contingency fee basis.
What this means is that you pay nothing to us upfront and you pay nothing unless we win. Our payment will be taken as a portion of your ultimate winnings from the settlement. The exact terms of this contingency fee arrangement depend on the facts of your case.
What Does PIP Insurance Cover?
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance is mandatory in the State of Florida. This insurance is known as “no-fault” insurance. It covers 80 percent of all necessary and reasonable medical expenses up to $10,000 resulting from a covered injury, regardless of who was at fault.
This coverage must be purchased from an insurance company licensed in Florida or from a company that qualifies for a self-insurance certificate issued by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
Who Could Be Held Liable for My Injuries?
There are many potential parties who could be held liable for your injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- The other driver;
- The manufacturer of your or the other driver’s vehicle;
- The government; or
- A property owner.
The potential party that is best to pursue compensation from will depend entirely on the circumstances of your case. But note that in most cases, there is a suitable party to pursue compensation from so long as they were at fault for your accident. If you’re unsure of whether there is such a party in your case, please give us a call today for a no-obligation consultation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers
Catania and Catania has been fighting for auto accident victims for more than 28 years. Collectively, our Tampa car accident attorneys have more than 120 years of experience that can directly benefit you after a wreck. We’ve recovered more than $500 Million in compensation, and we’re ready to help you and your family fight for every last dollar you deserve.
Contact our law offices, conveniently located in downtown Tampa in the Bank of America building, to learn more about how we can help. Your first case evaluation with our team is always free, so call now.
Tampa Car Accident Client Review
Local Auto Repair Shops Near You
- Paul’s Auto & Collision – 1205 E Jackson St, Tampa, FL 33602
- Castillos Tampa Bay Auto Repair – 1111 E Cass St, Tampa, FL 33602
- Firestone Complete Auto Care – 900 E Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL 33602
- YourMechanic Auto Repair – 100 Ashley Dr S Suite 608, Tampa, FL 33602
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated auto repair shops on Yelp.
Additional Car Accident Resources & Information
- Are Car Accident Reports Public Record?
- Can You Sue In Florida For A Car Accident If You’re Not Hurt?
- Florida’s DUI Laws And Penalties: A Guide
- Who Pays For The Medical Bills After A Car Accident?
- What Are The Odds Of Dying In A Car Crash?
- How Long Will My Car Accident Case Take to Settle?