Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you suffered serious injuries after a truck accident in Tampa, FL? An experienced Tampa truck accident attorney will help you pursue the compensation you deserve from the at-fault party. Call Catania & Catania Injury Lawyers at (813) 222-8545 for a free consultation.
Do not let the insurance company undervalue your claim or unfairly blame you for your crash. Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers has represented truck accident victims and their families for more than 28 years. Contact our Tampa law office for a no-obligation, free case evaluation with a member of our legal team ready to help.
Table of Contents
Why Should I Call Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers After a Truck Accident in Tampa?
At our law firm, we believe the victim should never have to fight insurance companies for the compensation they deserve.
Our Tampa personal injury attorneys have years of experience and will offer you the legal representation you need so you can focus on your recovery and future.
Choose Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers, and count on our firm to:
- Provide guidance and legal advice to all of your questions
- Handle all administrative tasks and communications with the police
- Perform an independent investigation of the scene to get all the information and records
- Work with specialists in many fields to accurately value your damages and build a strong case
- Negotiate on your behalf with the negligent driver’s insurer or present a compelling case to a jury to pursue fair compensation
We understand the process insurance companies work, including laws and trucking regulations on these accident cases. Call us to schedule a no-obligation consultation with a truck accident lawyer that will do the necessary steps to help you.
Florida Truck Accident Facts and Statistics
Although semi-trucks and other large commercial vehicles account for only four percent of vehicles on the road, they account for 14% of fatal crashes in the United States.
Passenger occupants are far more vulnerable in a collision with a truck and suffer 96% of the fatalities.
According to the FLHSMV, there were 401,068 traffic crashes and 3,735 traffic deaths in Florida in 2021. Of the 402,000 accidents, about 44,000 involved commercial vehicles. These collisions were responsible for about 10% of all traffic deaths in the state. As of May 2022, there have been 120,613 traffic crashes and 1,059 traffic deaths in Florida.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were 349 fatalities in truck crashes in Florida in 2019. The only states with higher trailer accident fatalities were Texas (652) and California (408).
Violations of Federal Trucking Regulations and Driver Negligence Cause Most Trucking Accidents
Nearly 10% of crashes are due to defective parts like bad tires or brakes, a far higher rate than car accidents. Truck drivers are more prone to dangerous fatigued driving and may violate federal hours-of-service regulations to meet deadlines.
Trailers also have a longer stopping distance, make wider turns, and have larger blind spots than passenger vehicles. These factors can contribute to the motor crash.
What Are Other Common Causes of Trucking Accidents?
Other common factors that cause truck crashes include:
- High speed
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Unfamiliarity with the road
- Improper lane change
- Failing to yield the right of way
- The number of hours driven
- Inexperienced drivers
Truck drivers should follow rules and regulations when they drive. For example, they should take 30-minute breaks after 8-hour drives and shouldn’t drive for more than 11 hours at a time. Your injury attorney will investigate your crash to determine the cause and any parties that were to blame.
Our Firm Handles All Truck Accident Injury Cases Near You
We understand the devastating nature of commercial vehicle collisions. Even at relatively low speeds, an accident can leave you with significant wounds, including life-changing injuries. Our attorneys handle all types of truck accidents including Jackknife accidents, Amazon Van accidents, Wolfcamp shale truck accidents, and more.
Our Tampa truck accident lawyers are committed to helping you seek the full compensation you need during this difficult time.
We represent truck accident victims who were injured and have:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Internal injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Chest injuries
- Concussion injuries
- Eye injuries
- Knee injuries
- Or nerve damage
At Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers, we recognize that your accident has left you with physical injuries and significant emotional and psychological scars. We’re fully prepared to take your case and help you fight against the insurance company for fair compensation.
What Damages Can I Recover After A Truck Accident?
Truck accident victims can seek compensation from the at-fault driver for all the losses they suffered as a result of the crash. Damages are divided into two broad categories: economic damages for financial losses and non-economic damages for losses without financial value.
You may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Property damage
- Medical bills, including emergency and home care
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
You may find you’re entitled to punitive damages. Inside the court, a jury might award these if the at-fault driver displayed a wanton disregard for human life or gross negligence such as drunk driving.
If a loved one was killed in a fatal truck collision, you may pursue a wrongful death claim.
What Is My Tampa Truck Accident Case Worth?
Unfortunately, we can’t estimate the value of your case with a calculator or formula. It is based on the available insurance coverage, the severity of your injuries, your share the culpability (if any), and other circumstances of your collision.
To estimate the value of your case, your attorney will first calculate the cost of your economic losses like medical expenses. Some of these are hard to calculate, particularly those related to future costs.
Next, this total gives a baseline to estimate your non-economic losses after a collision, like pain and suffering. This sum will be used as a starting point for negotiations to ensure you are fairly compensated.
Who Is Liable For My Tractor-Trailer Accident?
The liability in these types of cases can be really complicated. The potential at-fault parties may include:
- The trailer driver
- The trailer company
- The owner of the trailer
- The trailer’s manufacturers
- A third party vehicle
- The maintenance company
- Or other at-fault drivers
Sometimes the trailer is defective due to the design, or it was altered when sold. If so, the vehicle’s manufacturer or the entity that altered the vehicle can also be found responsible.
What Can I Do to Protect My Rights After a Tampa Truck Accident?
Truck accident claims can be really complicated. So, it can be really important to make sure that you do everything in your power to protect your rights and support your claim.
Here are simple steps to take to set yourself up for a win.
- Report the Accident Immediately: You’ll want a formalized record of your tractor-trailer accident. Calling the police or local law enforcement agency to report the accident is the best way to make sure that happens. Officers will arrive on the scene, assess the situation, and complete an accident report. This new report will document important details about your accident – including the time, date, weather, and specific location.
- Seek Medical Care Right Away: You’ll have to prove that the crash caused your injuries. When you visit the doctor your injuries and trauma will be recorded into your medical record. That record can be used to establish a causal link between the crash and your injuries. The less time that goes by between your accident and your trip to the doctor, the better.
- Document the Scene: When you look at the scene of your trucking accident, you might not know what to look for or what kind of details might be helpful if you file a claim. But, your attorney – and their trusted experts – will. So, take a moment to take some photos and even a few videos of the scene of the accident. Grab shots of tire tracks, skid marks, damage to vehicles and other property, and the surrounding area. Your lawyer can review the images and search for important details and evidence to help build your case.
- Call a Lawyer: Don’t apologize for the accident. Don’t admit fault. Don’t let the trucking company or its insurance provider pressure you into providing a recorded statement or taking a lowball offer. Call a lawyer and have them step in to represent you and protect your rights.
Catania & Catania Injury Lawyers will be there for you during your time of need. Reach out to our law offices after your accident – our team will be standing by to take your call.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit?
The Florida statute of limitations gives you four years to file a lawsuit if you were injured in a trucking accident. If a loved one was killed in a commercial vehicle crash, you have only two years to file wrongful death claims.
Do not underestimate the amount of time it takes to investigate your accident properly. It’s important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your claim and begin working on your case.
Can I Still Recover Compensation if I’m Partially at Fault?
Under the Florida pure comparative negligence rule, you can still get a financial award even if you caused the collision partially. This rule assigns responsibility to each party. You can recover it if you are one percent or 99% at fault.
However, your recovery will be reduced based on your share of fault. This means that if you suffered $50,000 in damages but are found 40% to blame, your recovery is reduced by 40% ($20,000).
A truck accident claim can be more complex than a regular car accident or motorcycle accident claim. If you are being blamed for the accident, it’s important to consult with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Every bit of responsibility that is shifted to you will reduce your recovery. The insurance provider is not on your side and may try to blame you or other parties to reduce their liability.
Contact a Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Do not let an insurance company mistreat you, undervalue your accident claims, or try to point this at you. You deserve an experienced truck accident attorney who will help you.
Contact Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers today to schedule your free case evaluation to discuss what we can do to help you. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you pay nothing out of pocket. You only pay attorney’s fees if and when we recover money for you.
Tampa Truck Accident Review
Local Physical Therapists
- Renewal Rehabilitation, Inc. – 613 S Magnolia Ave #2, Tampa, FL 33606
- ION – 1207 N Franklin St, Tampa, FL 33602
- The Physio Doc – 825 W Platt St, Tampa, FL 33606
- Optimal Performance & Physical Therapies – 1812, 1501 W Cleveland St STE 220, Tampa, FL 33606
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated auto repair shops on Yelp.
Additional Blogs & Resources
- Do I Need A Lawyer After A Truck Accident?
- How Much Does A Semi Truck Weigh?
- How Tired Truck Drivers Cause Accidents
- Truck Driver Drug and Alcohol Use
- What Happens In A Tire Blowout Accident?
- What Is MCS 90?
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Going To The Emergency Room After An Accident
- Windshield Repairs Free Under New Florida Statute
Truck Accidents Infographic
Other Practice Areas We Handle
At Catania & Catania, we also have experience handling other types of cases including:
- Bicycle Accidents in Tampa, FL
- Car Accidents in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accidents in Tampa, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Cases
- Pedestrian Accidents
- And more.
Visit one of our convenient locations in the Tampa Bay area or call us today to discuss your legal options.