Insurance companies often downplay parking lot accidents in Tampa, FL, as minor “fender benders.” However, our Tampa parking lot accident lawyers know otherwise. We represent clients who have been seriously injured in accidents in parking lots and parking garages.
At Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers, we take all accident cases seriously. Our legal team fights to get you the compensation you deserve, regardless of where the accident occurs.
Table of Contents
How Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
Catania and Catania Injury Lawyers has been representing individuals and families in Tampa Bay since 1992. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients in the past 28 years.
We can use our 120 years of combined experience to fight insurance companies, negligent parties, and defense firms and protect your right to fair and just compensation.
When you hire our car accident lawyers, you can expect us to:
- Begin an immediate investigation into the cause of the accident
- Gather and preserve evidence to prove fault and liability
- Work with you to document your damages
- File a claim with the insurance company
- Consult with your physicians and experts to verify the extent of your injuries and damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company for maximum compensation
Our Tampa car accident attorneys believe that every victim deserves to be treated with respect and fairness. Call us now to schedule your free appointment with a Tampa personal injury attorney.
How Common Are Accidents in Parking Garages and Parking Lots?
You may be surprised how many people are involved in a parking lot accident each year in the United States.
Over 50,000 accidents in parking lots or garages are reported each year. Throughout the country, over 600,000 people are injured in parking lot crashes each year. Additionally, more than 500 people are killed in crashes in parking structures and lots.
Other common car accidents in Tampa include the following:
- Head-on crashes,
- Rollover accidents,
- Highway crashes,
- Intersection accidents,
- Lane change accidents,
- Rear-end collisions,
- Drunk Driving,
- Multi-vehicle and single-vehicle accidents,
- Self driving cars,
- Dangerous roads and road defects,
- And more.
Why Do Parking Lot Accidents Happen in Tampa?
Motor vehicles may drive slowly through a parking lot, but accidents can still happen. Sadly, many accidents in parking lots occur because drivers are speeding. They often race to get a parking spot or hit a car while backing out of a parking space.
Distractions are another common cause of parking lot crashes. People talk on their cell phones, send and receive text messages, and do other things that distract them from driving. These distractions cause the driver to hit another car or pedestrian.
Many parking lot accidents happen because drivers fail to yield the right of way or travel the wrong direction. Drivers need to remember that Florida laws governing traffic apply in parking lots, too.
Injuries and Damages Caused by Accidents in Parking Lots
The injuries caused by parking lot accidents can be severe. A child or person struck by a car in a parking lot can sustain injuries, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
- Lost income
- Personal care
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earning potential
- Disabilities and impairments
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The first step in recovering compensation for your injuries is to determine who was at fault for the parking lot accident.
Who is Liable for the Damages Caused by a Parking Lot Accident in Tampa?
The person who caused your collision is generally liable for your damages. However, you must prove the person was negligent before you can recover money for your damages.
Ways that you can improve your chances of winning a parking lot accident case include:
- Report the accident immediately and wait for police officers to arrive
- Take photographs of the license plates around the accident in case any of those individuals were witnesses but did not remain at the scene
- Ask eyewitnesses for their contact information and names
- Take photographs of the accident scene
- Ask the parking lot owner if there is a video of the parking lot
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police officer and your attorney
- Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries
- If the parking lot is on private property, ask for the owner’s name and contact information
It can be difficult to prove who caused a parking lot accident. Both drivers may blame each other. If you share liability for the cause of the crash, you could receive less money than your damages are worth.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa, FL
Do not assume that your parking lot accident in Tampa, FL, will be a simple insurance matter. Contact our office now to speak with a Tampa car accident lawyer to discuss your case free of charge. Don’t wait too long; the statute of limitations for car accident cases is typically only four years.